Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> It needs a Standards Action.
>>>
>>> I'm in the process of doing this with RFC 2731, asked the IESG for
>>> advice, and got the recommendation to draft a document that would
>>> replace RFC 2731.
>>
>> Would you be willing to ask the IESG for advice on RFC 2854, in light
>> of HTML5 containing an updated registration? Perhaps their opinion
>> will be different, or perhaps not, in which case someone needs to
>> draft a superseding document.
>
> I'll do that once we have made a decision not to simply revise RFC 2854,
> which seems to be by far the simplest approach.
>
> BR, Julian
>
> PS: and yes, if we want to do that, and Dan and Larry are ok with that,
> I'd do the editorial work on it.

Issue 53 is simply "Need to update media type registrations".  Outside
of Larry, this part seems uncontroversial.  As to Larry, it simply seems
to me a matter of question asked and answered[1].  Larry is welcome to
correct me if I am misunderstanding.

There are some technical details[2], but it seems to me that Ian is
willing to accept bug reports on these.  The issue could be reopened
should it turn out that Ian marks one or more of these bugs as WONTFIX,
but we only would need to deal with that if it actually occurred and
everything I see indicates that it will not.

So, all that remains is the work.  From what I can see in section 13,
the work has been done.  Other specs do it this way (in fact, I was
associated with Atom, which is in the IETF and it did it this way -- see
section 7 of RFC 4287), and it doesn't seem to me be a particularly
egregious approach, so frankly I'm struggling to try to figure out what
the real issue is here.

Julian, you indicated that the IETF recommended an approach, and you
were willing to do the work.  I fully appreciate that, but apparently
that recommendation was made without the knowledge that the work is
already done.

I guess what I am asking here is:

   1) Is there some significant technical issue with the approach
      that has been taken, or is this simply a matter of bug reports
      that have yet to be written?

   2) Is there reason to believe that the IESG would not accept the
      work that has already been done?  If not, I am having trouble
      understanding why ripping out this work and starting over
      would be simpler.

If there are no technical issues (modulo a few bug reports, and from
what I can see, there is an agreement that these are bugs), and what
currently exists is workable, I'm inclined to recommend closing this issue.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1184.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1138.html