Re: Recording teleconferences?

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Matt May<mattmay@adobe.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 19:36:36 +0200, Anne said:
>>> If you're deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind you'll be locked out of
>>> full content. The guidance therefore, according to the Web Content
>>> Accessibility Guidelines, is to provide a transcript.
>>
>> So your opinion is that we should not provide any public recording whatsoever
>> if we cannot commit to also offer a transcript?
>
> In the past, when people who are deaf/HoH expressed a desire to participate
> in teleconferences, W3C has provided a real-time captioner. That is the
> means of accessibility accommodation for real-time telecons.

If the W3C is able to provide real-time captioners for meetings, why
aren't they being used to do the weekly transcripts for public-html
meetings? Obviously there are always going to be a sufficient number
of HOH people that would like to participate in the public-html
meetings, but cannot, and who would appreciate such a transcript.
Would it be possible to use this service to create better transcripts?
And if possible even further: would it be possible to use the
captioners to create actual caption files for the audio recordings
that can be done via skype? Could that be the simple and sufficient
solution without having to ask people for a weekly $80 contribution?

Regards,
Silvia.