Re: Begin discussions for pushing Last Call into 2010

Sam Ruby wrote:
> Shelley Powers wrote:
>> David Singer wrote:
>>>
>>> Shelley, when you say things like this, they sound like threats.  At
>>> the moment, we are supposed to be working together to resolve issues
>>> and do our best to stay on schedule.  I'd rather ask the question
>>> "what can we do, or ask be done, to keep to our schedule while
>>> providing good accessibility for canvas?"
>> No, I am stating a fact. I can't do anything about canvas being in
>> the HTML 5 specification now, because of the past vote. I can respect
>> that, and won't bring it up in this group again.
>>
>> However, I plan on issuing a formal objection about it being included
>> at the proper time, I imagine during the Last Call process.
>
> I'll echo DanC's previous comments[1]:
>
>   I don't think last call is an appropriate time to register
>   formal objections.  The appropriate time is after chair proposes
>   to close an issue and asks "any objections?" and before the chair
>   actually announces the outcome of the decision.
>
> Previously, he referred to this as being "out of order", which
> literally means done in the wrong order, as well as meaning not
> functioning well[2].
>
> More to the point: if you have objections, please raise them now.
> Don't wait.  I will note that you have already raised two:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/76
>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/77
>
> I know this will sound odd, but thank you for doing this, particularly
> issue 76.  I have more that I want to say about this, but I would
> rather wait until the current poll is over.

OK, now I'm confused. According to Dan, I can't bring the issue up now,
unless I have new information. That's cool, I understand. In which case,
the only time I can bring it up, is when a decision has been made on the
HTML 5 specification, which would be following Last Call. I could then
bring it up as a Formal Objection. Even though I'm a member of the WG
now, I wasn't when this decision was made, so I'm not acting in bad
faith to object.

However, you're saying I can raise this as an issue now?

I'm not sure that a Formal Objection isn't the more appropriate
response, primarily because the Canvas element is outside of the HTML
WG's charter. I'm not even sure bringing it up as an issue now will do
anyone any good.

I could enter this one as an issue, now, but I just don't want people
jumping on my case for doing so.

> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Aug/0015.html
> [2] http://www.answers.com/out%20of%20order

Shelley