Re: WG comments, Working Drafts, and Last Call -- clarification please?

Shelley Powers wrote:
> Questions of clarification:
>
> Do we still have discussion when it comes to publishing a Working
> Draft, regardless of who publishes it?

I raised this issue in the telcon because I don't beleive we should ever
let procedural issues, like publishing a Working Draft for a heartbeat
requirement, get tied up in a discussion about a technical issue, like
we've done with the summary issue.

> Do we need consensus, or are all Working Drafts being published,
> unless someone actively protests?

As has been mentioned already, per W3C process, Working Drafts
explicitly do not require consensus of the group to be published, so we
should just let them be published at any time without debate.  (It was
pointed out in the telcon that this should not apply to FPWD for various
reasons, including patent review period issues).

Had we simply published the draft as soon as the heartbeat requirement
was pointed out, then 2 weeks worth of bickering could have been
significantly reduced.

Personally, I think it's absurd that even though Sam knew this (as he
mentioned it), he still decided to bother seeking out consensus on the
publication of a Working Draft, rather than simply publishing it and
letting us get on with discussing the technical issues independently.

> If someone publishes a Working Draft with many differences, can we
> discuss each, or is it a case of all or nothing?

I don't understand the question.

> Is it true that the Working Group can't comment during Last Call? That
> we have to raise issues before then?

No, who claimed that?  Anyone can comment at any time.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/