Re: My final attempt on explanation (was RE: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2)

On Monday 2009-08-03 19:51 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> John's point is that the W3C has a group specifically tasked to
> make accessibility recommendations and their consensus differs
> from what the editor placed in the HTML draft.  Their "small group"
> far outnumbers everyone who has advocated the deprecation of summary.

Has that group weighed in in this debate, in response to the
evidence presented?  Or is it just that an out-of-date (i.e., not
updated in response to newer evidence) recommendation of that group
is being cited?

In general, I think one of the worst features of the W3C process is
that it tends to escalate any debate involving multiple groups into
a coordination issue, by encouraging to encourage the two groups to
come to consensus separately on the same issue (leading to different
results) and then resolve the already-hardened positions as a final
(and by that point much more difficult) step.

Instead, discussions should involve all relevant participants as
early as possible.  If we want to have a chance at resolving this we
should find a place to discuss it together, rather than asking one
of the WAI groups to come up with a group response.

-David