Re: Question about origin serialization

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Wouldn't the "null" value that has to be passed in such cases be enough to
> detect those cases?

Possibly.  I'll be honest; what largely prompted this is that people
started trying to add all sorts of just-slightly-different origin
stringification methods to Gecko code, and any time I see that sort of
thing happening with security code it gives me the "someone will change
one of these functions and forget to change others" willies.

Which is why ideally there would only be one function involved,
period....  That's hard enough already with the Unicode vs ASCII thing
in the spec, but all the _different_ special-casing of the non-host case
makes it a lot worse.

> I agree that would be a possible benefit.

Fundamentally, by the way, that's what Access-Control seems to rely on...

> It seems, though I could of course be wrong, that exposing internals is a
> bigger disadvantage than the benefit gained.

If we care, we could probably even standardize a form for the globally
unique identifier (say something like "html5-unique-origin:" followed by
a reasonable GUID serialization).

-Boris