Re: function and impacts (was: @scope and @headers reform)

Laura Carlson 2008-09-24 01.38:

> James wrote:
>
>> I trust the direction concerns will be addressed if you continue to
>> raise it for the HTML WG agenda.
>
> How would the smart headers algorithm work on:
>
> http://juicystudio.com/wcag/tables/altcomplex.html

I have tested this table in James's Table Inspector.[1]

Results:

[Test A:] The original table: See URL above.
Number of hierarchy attributes used: 44.
In detail: headers: 18; scope: 14; id:  12; @axis: 0;
Header association: This is the facit. [2]

[Test B:] The original table, but with fewer attributes. [3]
Number of hierarchy attributes used: 21.
In detail: headers: 9; scope: 0; id: 3; axis: 9;
Header association: Same as original. [4]

[Test C:] Same table as Test B, but parsed with SMART algorithm.
Table hierarchy attributes used: see Test B.
In detail: see Test B.
Header association: Worse, quite poor. [5]

NOTES:
* The Smart algorithm is able to give the same results as the HTML
4 algorithm when parsing the original table. However, as Test C
shows, it fails if using @axis.
* If the Smart algorithm is any better, then it allows us to code
less. At any rate, I guess that it might be possible to
incorporate @axis into the Smart algorithm.
* Use of @axis not ony allows us to use fewer attributes, but in
in addition it "sprites" up the table with cathegory informatino.

[1] http://james.html5.org/tables/table_inspector.html
[2] http://tinyurl.com/juicy-table-original
[3] http://www.malform.no/html5/juicy-fewer-attributes.html
[4] http://tinyurl.com/juicy-simplfied-algorithm-HTML