Re: function and impacts (was: @scope and @headers reform)

James Craig 2008-09-23 22.46:

> Gez Lemon wrote:
>> James Craig wrote:

>> If HTML5 allows
>> aria-labelledby on table cells, I would be in favour of dropping the
>> headers attribute completely, as it can't be used practically, and use
>> aria-labelledby for complex associations instead.
>
> Part of the intention of ARIA is to be replaced by host-language
> functionality once the @aria-* attributes are no longer necessary.

    [...]

> @headers may end up being the native host language equivalent for
> @aria-labelledby in some cases, but it would be better to have a more
> general global equivalent attribute that allows a list of IDREFs to
> label an arbitrary element.

Good thought.

(1) The idea you express here seems more compatible with a model
where we only operate with @headers and a @headers incorporating
heading algorithm, than it is with a table model based on @scope
and a @scope based algorithm.

(2) @headers should be generic enough. One could use @headers
instead of @aria-labelledby in HTML 5, in <table>s and outside. A
@headers could have a local scope, by default, meaning that
@headers, by default, could be used in <table>s the same was it
can be used in HTML 5.  A certain keyword or extension of the
attribute could make @headers global. For example
headers-global="id1 id2". A similar model, local by default,
global by extension, could be used in other contexts of HTML 5 as
well.
--
leif halvard silli