Re: No tabbed browsing in HTML 5?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:33:46 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

>> If this is in the spec we had better drop it - perhaps a brand new
>> value like <a target="_standalone" href="..."> could do the job but
>> we can't change _blank.
>
> We don't need a new value for this because no-one has demonstrated that
> there is a real problem here that needs solving.  Until that happens,
> coming up with potential solutions really isn't worthwhile.

I happen to think there is a real problem here, which is why Opera tried
changing the implementation: a site should be able to declare "this link
should open a new window but should not be able to 'reference' me (or in
HTML5 terms: be considered part of my related browsing contexts)".

In fact, window.opener being set if the openee is an untrusted site is a
security problem in the current window.opener design.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core QA JavaScript tester, Opera Software