Re: acceptable fallbacks [was: Re: Is longdesc a good solution? ...]

On Sep 10, 2008, at 15:06, David Poehlman wrote:

> per the last item, I don't have a sound card rendering me both deaf
> and
> blind so Please make the appropriate substitution in your reference?

First, if you don't have a sound card but you aren't physically deaf,
that's not an accessibility issue (in the W3C disability-related
sense). That's just a hardware purchase choice (and these days one has
to make special effort to purchase a computer without audio out).

However, in the case the user is both blind and deaf, it is an
accessibility issue, but there's still the scenario of extracting
captions and rendering them as braille, so we should expect browsing
software for all users to be <video>-aware.

In any case, full-text transcripts are useful for general audiences,
so once a full-text transcript has been written, it doesn't make sense
to hide it in a fallback chain only for deafblind users. Instead, it
should be available to all users.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi