Re: Quirks mode vs. standards mode

Simon Pieters wrote:
> Yes I think so. Having differences between the modes when not needed is
> not nice. In fact, having multiple modes at all sucks.

Agreed, but here we are...

> I thought browsers used css3-color rather than HTML4 color.

Nevertheless... the color wasn't a css3-color either.  And no, for HTML
attributes browsers don't necessarily use css3-color.  Certainly Gecko
doesn't.

>>>  I think rowspan and colspan can work the same in both (as specced in
>>> HTML5).
>>
>> I haven't had a chance to look at the html5 spec, but treating
>> rowspan/colspan="0" per HTML4 spec in quirks mode caused a lot of
>> grief last time it was tried.
>
> You'd do the opposite: treat rowspan/colspan="0" per quirks mode (or
> HTML5) in standards mode.

That would break standards pages that depend on the correct HTML4
handling (and they do exist, by the way).  We don't want to be going
there, I don't think.

Note that the current http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/tabular.html still has
zero rowspans (though not zero colspans for reasons that escape me).

-Boris