Re: ISSUE-54 (html5-doctype-vs-xslt): XSLT 1.0 can not generate HTML5 documents [HTML 5 spec]

Karl Dubost wrote:
> Simple question. What would be the cost of no doctype at all?
> I know that <!DOCTYPE html> activate standards mode, but why not
> activating it too on just <html>.

Just to make sure that I understand the proposal, is this a proposal to
activate standards mode by default for all pages that have no doctype?
I'm going to proceed with answering based on the assumption that this
understanding is correct.

> Do we know if it would really create damages?

Yes.

> And what would be the extent?

This is harder to answer.  I don't have data offhand on how many quirks
mode pages have no doctype at all (as opposed to one of the
quirks-whitelisted doctypes).  My gut feeling is that we're talking
about several percent of pages at least here, though not all will be
broken to an equal extent (some might work ok in standards mode).

I'd love to see hard numbers here, but again my gut feeling is that as a
UA implementor I can't make that sort of change.

-Boris