Re: several messages

Ian Hickson 2008-09-02 22.12:

> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Jirka:
>> Julian Reschke wrote:

  [... Jirka and Julian's references to support ...]

> This isn't a popularity contest. The reasoning behind not using the empty
> string was quite adequately given by both Henri and Smylers, and quoted in
> my original message.

Firstly: Kill your babies. Secondly: You quoted a message Henri
sent before the emtpy string proposal had been heard.

After the proposal, in a message 4 hours later than the one you
quoted, he supported the empty string and explained why [1]:

>> Looks good to me.
>>
>> I tested Firefox 3, WebKit trunk, Opera 9.5, IE7 and IE8b2, and the
>> doctype <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC ""> seems to have the same mode effect as
>> <!DOCTYPE html>.

The string <DOCTYPE html> was chosen because of the effect it has
on the browsers. And this is also the focus in Henri's message.

It would be more in line with this spirit to not add a iota more
than applications require. And they don't need "XSLT-compat".

To add more blurs the message. Wheras the empty string underlines
that "A DOCTYPE is a mostly useless, but required, header".[2]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Aug/0900.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#the-doctype
--
leif halvard sili