Re: About video & audio elements

On Sep 1, at 11:04 AM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> we could possibly look into providing a DOM API or other solution
> for language selection and allow page authors to provide custom UI
> in the page for it.

I wasn't thinking of limiting it specifically to language selection.
For example imagine watching a silly 1970's sci-fi movie,
alternative..um... ..."media things associated with the video"....
could be anything from the French translation audio, a directors
commentary on the scene, actors commentary on the scene, Mystery
Science Theatre 3000 jokes about the scene, English subtitles, English
closed-captioning (which might be different from the fan-provided
subtitles), French subtitles,

I think it would be easier to have a general purpose way of accessing
whatever is associate with the <video> and determining whether it's
another audio or video file or text or something. Allowing page
authors to do something with them is great but I really think this is
something Browser developers should work on providing in their <video>
UI. Hopefully they'll realize the benefits of being able to brag about
having the most hearing-impaired-friendly video implementation.

<video>
   <source>kongzilla.ogg</source>
   <source>kongzilla.flv</source>
   <source>kongzilla.wmv</source>

   <timedtext src="kzsubtitles_en.sub">English Subtitles By
KongJrD@wgz98</timedtext>
   <timedtext src="Kong_Zilla_Closed_Caption_File.cc">English Closed
Caption File from Kongzilla DVD</timedtext>
   <timedtext src="kzsubtitles_fr.sub">French Subtitles By BooCoo76</
timedtext>

   <alternateaudio>
     <audio src="kzfrenchDubTrack.mp3">French Dub </audio>
   </alternateaudio>

   <simultaneous_audio>
     <audio src="KZ_DirectorComments.mp3">Directors Commentary</audio>
     <audio src="KZ_BobJohnsonsComments.mp3">Star, Bob Johnson's
Commentary</audio>
     <audio src="KZ_SFXComments.mp3">Commentary by the team behind the
KongZilla make-up effects</audio>
     <audio src="KZ_MST3K.mp3">Mystery Science Theatre 3000: ripping
the movie a new one</audio>
   </simultaneous_audio>
</video>

... again, this would all depend on the browser devs making such
things accessible to the user in their video interface... I realize
now this sounds a lot like features from a dvd...
Well, I can dream can't I?