Re: table and meter : timeline, timesheet

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Olivier GENDRIN wrote:
>> I wish to ease the build of timelines like
>> http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/Gallery/images/timelines/marey_1885.jpg,
>> http://www.mountpleasantgroupofcemeteries.ca/images/BoardBios/MPGC-BoardTimeline.png,
>> http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/bronk/timeline.jpg and
>> (note the log scale)
>> http://www.nature.com/bjp/journal/v143/n6/images/0705938f2.gif in pure
>> semantic HTML, or TV programs like http://www.cesoirtv.com/.
>>
>> It's doable right now with table, but it needs hundreds of td, and it's
>> less semantic than with a @interval attribute (using any number of
>> start/end pairs).
>
> I think this is interesting, but probably isn't something we should do in
> HTML5. Maybe for HTML6?

Wikipedia uses <table> for timelines. An example is in my 2008 collection:

<http://projectcerbera.com/web/study/2008/tables#timelines>

Lots of colspan and rowspan reduces the total number of cells. I guess they
work since data cells which span different groups of column headers get
every header cell which applies to any slot covered by that data cell.
(AFAICT.)

So, the "400i" cell on Wikipedia gets these column headers:

* 1970s
   * 9
* 1980s
   * 0