Re: <q>

Yep - knew someone was bound to miss the point.

In the usage I mentioned the semantics of <q> is exactly defined within the
context between the server and a specific web application's client-side
Javascript. This is in effect an entirely distinct namespace unrelated to
the "Semantic Web" (whichever that is). HTML through web browsers is and
always will be (for the foreseeable future) a delivery mechanism for
applications. Web application developers should and will make pragmatic use
of the strongest capabilities of the platform, independent of dogmatic
concerns.

Your point would be valid if the semantics were meant to be global. That is
not the case. I was certain a part of this audience is unclear on that
point.

To pick apart your analogy, yes - English is meaningless (not useful) if all
of your audience speaks Spanish, only some speak English, and you want the
entire audience to understand what you say. Web application developers need
to be practical, not dogmatic.