Re: <q>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Note that I said that it should be based on what browsers do.  It was
> not intended to be an idea for new rendering if it's not what browsers
> already do.  As far as I know, by default browsers only render ASCII
> quotation marks in all cases (either single quotes or double quotes,
> depending on the nesting level), though I could be wrong. This would
> need to be investigated when it comes time to write the rendering section.

For what it's worth, the French localization of Firefox has something
like this in intl.css:

   q:lang(fr) { quotes: "\ab\a0" "\a0\bb" "\201c" "\201d"; }

Since html.css just has:

   q:before { content: open-quote; }
   q:after { content: close-quote; }

this would give non-ASCII quotes.  Perhaps luckily for purposes of this
discussion, intl.css is not applied to web content at the moment, only
to the browser UI and HTML that's part of said UI...

But in any case, I would think that authors and users would both like to
use CSS using :lang() as above to easily style their quotes.  So
whatever solution we come up with should ideally allow that (perhaps
also requiring them to explicitly style the :before/:after if that's the
only way to make things sane).

-Boris