Re: proposal to allow div, h1 .. h6 and section as children of list elements

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:32:13 +0100, Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:

<.. snip>

> As I understand it, these are referred to as "paragraphs" by those in
> the legal profession, so surely <p> is a better element for the job than
> <li>?

Thanks for looking at this, Toby.

They are referred to as paragraphs, yes -- but the whole document is an
ordered list of paragraphs. Perhaps I should adjust my demonstration
markup so that each <li> contains a <p> element that wraps the text, so
that it better illustrates this.

> I think most of the cases your proposal covers can be solved by
> adjusting the markup, especially with the <ol start> and <li value>
> attribute.

But I'd rather not use the start and value attributes; I don't want to
hardcode the numbers in the markup.

> That having been said, I do see the merit in a grouping element within
> lists, but not one which allows arbitrary content. Something equivalent
> to <tbody> within tables: the content model within the <tbody> is as if
> the <tbody> wasn't there.

That would be useful, too - but why invent another element when we have a
grouping element -- the <div> element? As I asked in my original proposal,
what is the objection to allowing groups of arbitrary content with a
something, then it should be permissible

bruce