Re: UA norm for redirects (both META and http)

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Robert J Burns wrote:

> Dear WG,
>
> Here is another issue that needs to be introduced here for discussion, as it
> will be added to the issue-tracker in time. This issue has been discussed
> within the WG previously surrounding accessibility concerns when UAs follow
> redirects without updating users and the user's data. I welcome additional
> feedback.
>
> UA norm for redirects (both META and http).[1]

"In cases where the original URI is maintained as a bookmark for the
user, the UA should either interactively offer to update the bookmark
on behalf of the user or do so automatically."

No need to do anything, this comes with HTTP right out-of-the-box: if
the redirect is a 301, the UA SHOULD update the bookmarks [1],
otherwise it SHOULDN'T [2].

[1] "any future references to this resource SHOULD use one of the
returned URIs."
[2] 302: "Since the redirection might be altered on occasion, the
client SHOULD continue to use the Request-URI for future requests"
    303: "The new URI is not a substitute reference for the originally
requested resource"
    307: "Since the redirection MAY be altered on occasion, the client
SHOULD continue to use the Request-URI for future requests"

--
Thomas Broyer