Re: new IDENT data type and more thorough specification of id and xml:id

Robert J Burns wrote:

> I appreciate the question. The issue you raise here is precisely one of
> the issues this proposal seeks to address. Authors want as much
> consistency between serializations that we can achieve. Permitting the
> xml:id attribute in both serializations helps with that.

I don't think so as this is not backwards compatible with existing
HTML/XHTML content.

> Add to those issue the fact that many authors do not ensure that their
> id attributes are unique document wide and that's another use case this
> proposal seeks to address.  It basically follows the design pattern
> already paved by the XML distinction. The xml:id can be reserved for
> authors wanting strict ID typing (with fatal errors for ID collisions in
> both serializations) while also allowing authors (including legacy
> content) to use the id attribute more leniently (with potentially many
> id collisions). Finally the proposal advocates for clear interoperable
> processing of documents that have duplicate IDENT and ID values.

If such distinction is useful for some users, then validators can very
easily support two validation modes for documents -- one which will
enforce ID checks and second which will just ignore such errors.