Re: Unclear what: "For interoperability, authors are advised to avoid optional features of XML" means.

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Dean Edridge wrote:
> From: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#xhtml5
> >
> > According to the XML specification, XML processors are not guaranteed
> > to process the external DTD subset referenced in the DOCTYPE. This
> > means, for example, that using entities for characters in XHTML
> > documents is unsafe (except for <, >, &, " and ').
>
> Can this be changed to something more along the lines of: According to
> the XML specification, XML processors are not guaranteed to process the
> external DTD subset referenced in the DOCTYPE. This means, for example,
> that using named character entities for characters in XHTML documents is
> unsafe (except for <, >, &, " and '). --

I have fixed the dubious use of the term "entities".

> -- When using XHTML, it is recommended that authors use the UTF-8
> charset. --

I don't really understand why we would want to recommend that here. The
context here is just the problems of DOCTYPEs and the issue of the lack of
DTDs for XHTML5.

> -- Additionally, authors can use numerical or hexadecimal entities, for
> example use the numerical reference ™ to display the trademark
> symbol.

I think people using XML will be well aware of this; mentioning it here
again will just make the document longer without really helping anyone.

> > For interoperability, authors are advised to avoid optional features of XML.
>
> It's unclear to me what this sentence is actually trying to say here.
> This could mean a lot of things. Perhaps one of the editors could
> explain what the reader is supposed to take from this sentence.

I've removed it.

Cheers,