Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> Hi Ian,
> I really would like to know why you have included a conformance
> requirement in the spec, that is impossible to check without having to
> talk to the author?

That doesn't seem so far away from many other non-machine checkable conformance
requirements in the spec. For example, similar out of band information would be
needed to check that the contents of the <address> element were really intended
to be "the contact information for the section it applies to".