Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Debi Orton wrote:

> I realize that I am late in responding to this thread. Thanks to Steve,
> Laura, et. al. for putting this together.
>
> However, I would like to add my voice to those of the workgroup who have
> advocated for requiring an alt attribute for the img element.  I work
> with several AT users who rely heavily on the alt attribute to find out
> what information they may be missing when a page includes images, and
> I've seen their frustration when no such information is provided.
>
> Considering what it provides for those users who need it, it's a small
> imposition on developers.

Note that the HTML5 spec as written today _does_ require the alt=""
attribute when it is at all possible to include it. The question is
whether we should require the attribute also in the cases where the person
or software generating the markup has no idea what the image is. Your
users would be just as frustrated, I assume, with an alt="" attribute that
provides useless information (such as "unknown image") as if the alt=""
attribute was omitted altogether, right?