Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

Gez Lemon wrote:
> On 15/05/2008, Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>  There's a third option, which is the status quo: output an empty alt
>> attribute. They'll keep doing that. It will keep the tool's output passing
>> machine checkable conformance criteria (and people will leave it if it
>> doesn't), but it still doesn't help accessibility.
>
> Which authoring tools currently do this?

Can I request that if we are to discuss the behavior of authoring tools with
regard to @alt, we consider not just what output they produce but also how their
UI choices around @alt affect the *quality* of the output. For example I
analyzed the behavior of KompoZer and discovered the following:

a) It sometimes inserts very very poor alt text (the image path) automatically

b) It tries to enforce the entry of alt text in a manner that is frustrating to
the user and therefore is likely to lead to the user adding empty alt (the
easiest option) or adding ill thought through alt text so they are allowed to
complete their goal of inserting an image.

c) It does not appear to provide an easy way to view the alt text in the correct
context (i.e. with images disabled) so that users can assess whether their
content is actually accessible in that situation.

KompoZer appears to be designed with the goal of producing syntactically valid
HTML 4 documents. It is far from clear that the design choices made to fulfil
the mandatory-alt part of these syntax requirements actually lead to more
accessible output.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/02/mid/481DB90D.5010605@cam.ac.uk;list=public-html