RE: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

Frederico -

You are right, and I apologize; I should not have called FCK Editor a
"garbage tool". The tool itself seems fairly decent considering the
constraints it operates within (namely, client side code in a Web browser
that seems to work fine in all browsers, no small feat). A better phrasing
that more accurately reflects my thoughts and intentions would have been
"tools like FCK Editor that produce poor HTML". The fact is, FCK Editor (and
many other tools, both within Web apps and not) have been producing obsolete
and invalid HTML for quite some time; in this case, <font> has been obsolete
for 7 or 8 years before your tools finally stopped using it. While your
message clearly shows the technical reasons behind this, it really
highlights the problem that we have here. FCK Editor is probably responsible
for more HTML generation in a week or two than every plain text editor on
the planet in a year. So when it (or any other tool) produces HTML that
doesn't meet the spec, there is a problem.

In this case, you cite a technical hurdle as being the cause of the bad
HTML. But overall, what can we do to change the HTML spec so that it is
easier for tool creators to write tools that adhere to it? Simply put, if
the people working on tools cannot (or will not) produce tools that generate
not just syntactically correct, but really good HTML, then the HTML spec is
only aimed at the few who hand edit, which is not an acceptable situation.

So, from your perspective (using your parenthesis on my inappropriate
comment as a springboard), what can we do to help you make a tool that works
better?

J.Ja