Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

To glean the logic and reasons behind decisions that went into WCAG 2, there is this document called Understanding WCAG 2.0.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20080430/

"Understanding WCAG 2.0" provides detailed information about each Success Criterion, including its intent, the key terms that are used in the Success Criterion, and how the Success Criteria in WCAG 2.0 help people with different types of disabilities. This document also provides examples of Web content that meet the success criterion using various Web technologies (for instance, HTML, CSS, XML), and common examples of Web content that does not meet the success criterion.