Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

Justin James wrote:
> The difference is, my proposal takes away the styling advantages of using
> the wrong tag. It is quite common to see <h1> where the goal was really
> Constitution</em> when semantically that is wholly incorrect. By taking away
> the default stylings, and separating the role from the styling, you stop
> seeing this.

Since all we'd be left with is div and span, your proposal also takes
away any incentive for authors to bother using the correct markup.  All
we would get is people using <div style="..."> for everything, and you
instantly lose all semantics and accessibility.  You're proposal is
basically suffering from an extreme case of div-itis.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/