Re: change "scientific documents" to "basic hypertext" (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

On Fri, 09 May 2008 08:39:42 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>
>> The draft says "HTML was primarily designed as a language for
>> semantically describing scientific documents, ..."
>>
>> I'm pretty sure that's not true.
>
> The original proposal:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html
>
> ...makes it pretty clear that the project was originally intended for
> CERN to manage project documentation. For example, from the second
> introductory section ("Losing Information at CERN"):
>
>    The sort of information we are discussing answers, for example,
>    questions like
>     * [...]
>     * Which laboratories are included in that project?

This is hardly what I would call scientific documents. We don't need
engineers in Opera to decide which rooms are available for a meeting, or
who is paid by a given client.

Not that this is terribly important in the real world, but I would prefer
that assertions in the spec about history are at least in line with the
historical record. (I am not sure what purpose this one actually serves,
either, so it could just be removed IMHO).

cheers

Chaals