Re: The term "HTML elements"

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Mike Brown wrote:

> In section 1.4 (Terminology) it's still not 100% clear to me whether
> "HTML elements" such as those that would be returned by
> HTMLCollection.namedItem(key), would include elements with names not
> found in certain unmentioned specifications such as HTML 4.01.

"HTML elements" is defined in that section as being short for "elements in
the HTML namespace". Does that answer your question?

> I mean, it's insufficient to just say "UAs conforming to this specification
> will place elements in HTML" -- which elements are those? -- "in the
> http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace".

That's just a statement of fact; there are more specific normative
conformance criteria in the various places (e.g. in the parser) where
elements are created.

> Which elements, if any, would not be in that namespace?

I don't really understand the question -- that's like saying "Who,
exactly, would not have the surname 'Smith'?".

> I encounter HTML documents all the time with custom elements in them;
> would such elements be required to be in that namespace? As a facetious
> example, <DIV><MARQUEE>hello</MARQUEE></DIV> ... would both the DIV and
> the MARQUEE be in the XHTML namespace?

Yes.

> What if there are explicit namespace declarations?

text/html doesn't use explicit namespace declarations as currently
defined.

> What if there's an XML DTD overriding the namespaces?

The XML and XMLNS specifications fully define what elementt end up in what
namespace in XML documents.

> Does the parser type (HTML, XML) make a diference?

Yes.