Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

On Mar 17, 2008, at 05:27, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 16 mars 2008 à 00:43, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
>> I much prefer the alternative of doing just-in-time XML conversion
>> if the need to actually have XML actualizes.
>
> Do you think it would be possible to have a mod_xml serializer as an
> Apache module and IIS server plug-in. It would have an html 5 parser
> and serialize it as XML on the fly (just in time).

That's not what I meant. I meant things like:
  1) Context menu Save Image As... for inline SVG subtrees. (Using an
XML-compatible serializer.)
  2) Context menu Show Selection Markup. (Serializing the selected DOM
range using an XML-compatible serializer.)
  3) Converting the page using a future version of html5lib,
Validator.nu HTML parser, Twintsam or similar.

As for putting #3 in an Apache module on the server, it would be
doable in theory (some may even do it as a backwards-compat measure
for XHTML+SVG browsers), but
  * Server-owners don't want to bear the cost of running more code per
HTTP response on the server.
  * Getting people to install non-default Apache modules is hard.
  * It won't become a default module, because for the HTML part,
silent conversion to XHTML would expose CSS and DOM behavior
differences in a non-obvious way.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi