Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

Hi, Henri-

Henri Sivonen wrote (on 3/15/08 1:03 PM):

>> Because it preserves compatibility with all other SVG content and UAs,
>> thus capitalizing on the network effect.
>
> That's a fallacy. As I have pointed out before, *no* SVG-in-text/html
> scheme can capitalize on compatibility with deployed SVG-as-XML clients,
> because the clients trip up on the text/html Content-Type or at least
> the HTML wrapped around the SVG image.

No, that's the fallacy.

As has been pointed out numerous times, just because a piece of content
starts in an HTML file doesn't guarantee it's going to stay there.  It
could very well be copy-pasted into a standalone file, with absolutely
no HTML in it, and be expected to work in an existing SVG UA.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI