Re: <canvas> JPEG quality

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> It's not clear to me how UAs can experiment with allowing various
> options here without running afoul of the spec, to be honest, since
> anything you do is likely to conflict with future to-be-specified
> behavior.
>
> If we're going to have an extensibility mechanism here, it seems like it
> would be nice if it could be used for extensibility....

The extensibility mechanism is for the spec, not the implementors. :-)

There are two ways to experiment here. One is to have a separate method,
with the vendor name, as in mozToDataURL(), and the other is to discuss
experiments on one of the HTML5 mailing lists, so that all the other
vendors (and myself) are aware of what is going on, and can compare notes.
Either would be fine. (The latter is what Opera is doing with image/jpeg.)