Re: Doctype on text/html Pages (Was: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart)

Robert J Burns wrote:
> I think I already answered it in the part you snipped. What is your use
> case for allowing any doctype declaration? What problem does that

I just prefer that HTML5 doesn't micromanage the XML format when it is
not needed.

> address? We have only one doctype declaration for the text/html
> serialization so why do we need infinite doctype declarations for the

For instance because the HTML5 "doctype" doesn't work with XML parsers,
once you turn on DTD validation (as far as I can tell).

> XML serialization, especially since we seem to agree that the importance
> of doctype declarations is quickly vanishing (which is I guess why this

I agree that the importance of doctypes is vanishing, and that's exactly
the reason why I think we shouldn't make any restrictions on it.

> topic inspires so much debate compared to the more substantive topics
> which illicit no response whatsoever)

People comment on things they are interested in, in particular when they
think a bad proposal is being made. I'm not sure how to avoid that,
that's how collaboration on open mailing lists usually happens.

BR, Julian