Re: Doctype on text/html Pages (Was: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart)

On Jul 23, 2008, at 13:53, Michael A. Puls II wrote:

> That makes perfect sense to me. It's making it clear that such XML
> documents may contain <!DOCTYPE html>.  That sounds a lot better than
> "a DOCTYPE", which could mean any doctype.

The spec intentionally allows no doctype or any doctype in the XML
serialization, because placing restrictions on the doctype would
violate spec layering and micromanage syntax on the XML layer.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi