Re: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> How do catalogs address:
>  * older browsers performing a DDoS on www.w3.org when a new DTD that
> isn't in the catalog is published

How often new DTD will be published? I suppose at much lower rate then
browsers have to be updated for security bugs.

>  * www.w3.org as a single point of failure when a DTD isn't in the catalog

Why W3C DTDs should not be in catalog?

>  * parsing performance other than network

There is nothing which prevents XML parser to load precompiled memory
dump of entity definition when reaching known DTD.

>  * colons in PI targets

Does is this really problem or just virtual problem? Is there any parser
which really fails on such construct?

>  * ungraceful behavior in existing Gecko and WebKit instances

Not sure what you mean.

>  * the fact that the very reason why the XML spec doesn't require XML
> processors to process the DTD is to cater for browsers (see
> http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm), so failing to exercise the
> opportunity not to process DTDs would be defeat the intent of the XML spec
> ?

Without DTDs it will not be possible to use entities except five
predefined in XML serialization. This is perfectly fine with me. But if
there is real push for entities in XML serialization there are two
possibilities:

- use current XML features combined with XML catalogs to get working
solution

- create XML V.next which will predefine HTML + MathML + ISO entities so
there will be no need for entity definitions in DTD

I think that later solution is much better but it is not realistic now.

			Jirka