Re: several messages about content sniffing in HTML

On 29 Feb 2008, at 16:33, Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> Isn't the fact that FF and IE disagree here an indication that
>>> this doesn't need to be specified?
>> Things aren't specified well enough until I can write an HTTP UA
>> that can work in the real world (which, as someone dealing with
>> feeds, I can tell you need without question support for content-
>> type sniffing) from reading specifications without having to
>> reverse-engineer anything.
>
> Doesn't seem to apply to this case.
>
> A duplicate Content-Type header response indicates that the response
> is invalid.

And guess what? Users don't like error messages. I want to know how to
deal with it without having to look elsewhere (from the spec).

A page (<http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=RSS01&mime=XML
 >) that I came across recently had:

Using the first would break badly. I guess it seems to work because of
content-type sniffing on an unknown (and invalid) header (or, as many
feed readers do, totally ignoring it, with the exception of any
charset parameter). Without content-type sniffing, that HTML 5 now
allows, you need the last.

But as James says: how do I know that which behaviour I choose doesn't
matter until I reverse engineer browsers to discover that?

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>