Re: ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec]

this "issue" represents a fundamental mis-understanding of the point of
ARIA markup and the PFWG's attempts to work with the HTML WG -- as stated
by Al Gilman in a post to public-html

<q
cite="http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0903.html">
The working group likes the idea of having built in semantics in HTML and
in particular would prefer to have common document elements, such as
widgets built in to the markup. This reduces download size and the effort
required to make a web page accessible. For these reasons, we would
promote the use of such markup over the ARIA approach. That said, we do
believe that HTML 5 will not incorporate document elements for all those
included in the ARIA role taxonomy nor will it include all the states and
properties. For these reasons, backward compatability for the ARIA
specifications is a must.
</q>

further on in his email, Al Gilman also states:

<q
cite="http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0903.html">
To summarize, our goals for HTML 5 are as follow:

    * Support for issues highlighted in Table: 1 of the ARIA Roadmap
    * Backward compatability to ARIA, including the role attribute.
    * Allow for full interoperability with assistive technologies
    * A preference for access to accessibility information via the DOM
    * Reduced efforts by authors to support assistive technologies
    * Support for the access element or a version of it.
    * Maintain equivalent or improved accessibility features of HTML 4.01
</q>

i vote that this is a NON-ISSUE as, but would support re-opening it
WITHOUT the following verbiage:

<q
cite="http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/35">
It also requires consideration of how aria
features interact with html-native features and, where
functionality is duplicated, consideration of whether the
advantages of having more than one way to achieve the same
effect outweighs the cost.
</q>

CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net

------- End of Original Message -------