Re: Why authors are using Transitional (and target="_blank")

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> When the easily detectable way of doing something that you don't want
> authors to do but they want to do *anyway* is conforming and supported by
> browsers by default, it is easier for you to take counter-measures than it
> would be if the authors used something less easy to detect and counter
> (such as window.open()).

Consider this: all the top browsers start to ignore it by default. There is
much rejoicing among users.

But then what? Authors will use another method. They are paid to achieve the
effect clients and colleagues require of them, however misguided and however
frequently research proves it so.

The argument against new windows for normal navigation may be won long
before HTML5 gets near to completion. The commonality of tabbed browsing has
made it much easier, in my experience. So making target="_blank"
non-conforming could be the right thing to do, ultimately.

But for now, I agree with making it conforming so new windows remain easy to
detect and counteract.

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> However, evidence suggests that authors just don't care how much they
> annoy users and use various techniques to open popups anyway.

Happily, I usually get my way on this issue: all links open where the user
asks them to. I am a web-developer-for-hire who cares about users. As do my
colleagues, my boss, the companies we partner with and most of our clients.

Evidence of my user-hostility is greatly exaggerated. :)

--
Ben Millard, sdesign1
<http://www.sdesign1.co.uk/ben.htm>