Integrating aria into HTML 5 [was: Re: Clarification of rational for deprecation of @longdesc and @summary]

Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> If wai-aria goes in we have an aria-describedby property which can
> reference an area of the document allowing for the prose to be
> associated with the image. longdesc is almost never used as people want
> to use the same prose in the original document.

In general it's worth noting that there are several places where aria
functionality overlaps with html functionality, including both things in HTML 4
that are also in HTML 5 and things that are in HTML 4 but are not included in
the HTML 5 draft.

We need to go through the aria spec and define processing requirements for the
aria properties when used in html. Where there is an overlap between the
functionalities, we should decide if having the aria-property alone fulfills our
requirements or whether there are compelling arguments for retaining more than
one way to do it.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this is covered by Issue 14 [1] in the
Issue Tracker?

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/14