Re: contradictory example of b

Ben Boyle wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#the-b

I recommend to use the multipage version of the draft:
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-phrase.html#the-b

> These are contradictory. I think the first example should be fixed.
> (Maybe it should be kept as an example where m is preferred over b).

I may be completely wrong, but here's my interpretation:

sematic value, while <m> is a data element.

In effect this means, that <b> marks up information that is important to
the document(-structure), while <m> marks up data that is important to
the user agent/user.

The second example of the m-element makes this clear. <m> is used to
mark up the keywords in a search result that were used to run the
search. It's like the highlight feature in your search window/bar.

In this example, the user agent could format <m> like it'd format it's
own search results thus create a familiar/native feeling to the user.

However, <m> is indeed poorly defined and I wouldn't care if it was
removed like proposed.

ds.