Re: let's keep metadata profiles (head/@profile) in HTML for use in GRDDL etc.

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:46:38 +0100, Arthur Jennings
> <arthur.jennings@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Back in July, Dan Connolly proposed that the profile attribute be
>> allowed on the head element. As far as I can tell, it still isn't.
>>
>> Was this change rejected, or just lost in the shuffle?
>
> It hasn't been considered yet as far as I can tell. There's still
> *lots* of outstanding feedback.
Could someone point me to where precisely the outstanding feedback is?

>> If it won't be allowed, is there an alternate way to do <a href="
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3">meta data
>> profiles</a>?
>
> rel="profile" has been proposed for this on the rel="" attribute
> extensions registration page:
>
>   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/RelExtensions
What precisely is the advantage of using rel="profile" in links over the
profile attribute on the head element?

While this wouldn't work for rel on link elements in the header, I
remember Ryan King pointing out that one way you could also get profiles
to work in the body to this would be by adding some sort of
profile-capable attribute to divs and spans.  Then we would to be able
to apply then the profile to all children elements (in some XML
serialization). Thought it was a good idea at the time.

--
  -harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin 6B522426