Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

On Feb 7, 2008 4:04 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Chasen Le Hara 08-02-07 07.19:   ­
>
> > Leif, I disagree with your arguments in favor of the strike element
> > (for reasons outlined by others). However, I want to bring up one use
> > case for the strike element for discussion: its (lack of) use in
> > Bugzilla.
> >
> > In Bugzilla, a reference to a bug that has been resolved is linked and
> > stricken through (using a class). The del element is inappropriate in
> > this circumstance because the reference is not an edit to the document
> > (nor is the reference being deleted), which leaves a class or the
> > strike element.
> >
> > I'm not particularly convinced that the strike element is
> > (semantically) correct to use in this use case, or that it would be
> > worth keeping around for use cases like this, but I think it should at
> > least be considered.
>
> You say that it is not an edit to the document. However, if Bugzilla had
> been paperbased, then it would indeed been percived as an edit.

It depends on what you're talking about...

Let's consider bugs linked to/from others ("duplicate of bug #nnn",
"depends on bug #nnn", etc.), when you're looking at a particular bug.
When the other bug is resolved, the link appears stricken in Bugzilla;
this informs you of the other bug's status without having to follow
the link.
If Bugzilla were paper-based, you just wouldn't have that info: the
bug you're looking at wouldn't be updated as soon as a linked bug is
closed/resolved.

In a "perfect world", the "resolved" state of linked bugs would be
retrieved independently of the HTML document and the document then
dynamically updated to reflect it. It's just not the case in Bugzilla,
where pages a generated on-the-fly with this information "hard-coded"
in the HTML code.

A simple way of doing that:
<link rel=stylesheet src=bug-states.css>
This bug depends on <a href="showbug/1234" class="bug_1234">bug #1234</a>.

And the bug-states.css would contain (among many other similar things):
.bug_1234 { text-decoration: line-through; }

...but that's not an edit of the bug you're looking at, it's an edit
of bug #1234.

--
Thomas Broyer