Re: Emphasizing STRIKE

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Philip Taylor (Webmaster) 08-02-06 17.46:   ­
>> but given a choice between <strike> and <s> I would
>> much prefer the former, since <s> could only too
>> easily be confused with <strong> by analogy with <b>.
>
> Valid point.

I disagree. If the author looks at the page in a web browser, they'll see
the text is crossed out instead of emboldened.

Some other notes:

1. <s> uses fewer bytes than the alternatives.
2. Some formatting elements named in a similar style to <s>:
    * <b>
    * <i>
    * <tt> (as opposed to <teletype>)
    * <u>
3. Some elements which a greater purpose than formatting named in a similar
style to <strike>:
    * <base>
    * <caption>
    * <cite>
    * <code>
    * <form>
    * <input>
    * <label>
    * <legend>
    * <option>
    * <strong>
4. Some formatting elements named in a similar style to <strike>:
    * <basefont>
    * <big>
    * <center>
    * <font>
    * <small>
    * <strike> (alias of <s>)
5. Elements with a greater purpose than formatting named in a similar style
to <s>:
    * <a>
    * <p>
    * <q>

If we make an element for creating a strikethrough effect conforming, I
think we should:

* Allow both <s> and <strike> equally. There is consistency and
inconsistency with either name.
* Define <s> and <strike> as aliases of each other.
* Highlight the usefulness of <del> for common strikethrough cases in the
authoring section/document.

I am not sure if such an element should be conforming. <del> seems
appropriate in all the cases I've seen, especially when no attributes are
present. But this is not something I've studied in great detail.

--
Ben 'Cerbera' Millard
Collections of Interesting Data Tables