Re: Validation error frequencies

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:50:52 -0000, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> In the case of border, I think it would be good also to get rid of the
> default border in Gecko, since other browsers have been able to get rid
> of it without Breaking the Web.

Instead of allowing border=0 on images I suggest making it irrelevant by
specifying that images should have no border by default.

I agree with allowing table border/cellspacing though.

>> 0095 / 400 Attribute “size” not allowed on element “input” from
>> namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml” at this point.
>
> Common and can't emulate with CSS 2.1. Let's make this conforming for
> the relevant input types.

True. It makes sense to specify that x number of characters is expected to
be visible without guessing font metrics and border sizes.

>> 0052 / 400 Attribute “name” not allowed on element “a” from namespace
>> “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml” at this point.
>
> Not dead with Netscape 4...

But it's easy to fix.

>> 0001 / 400 Element “nobr” from namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”
>> not allowed in this context. (The parent was element “form” from
>> namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”.) Suppressing further errors
>> from this subtree.
>> 0002 / 400 Element “wbr” from namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”
>> not allowed in this context. (The parent was element “p” from namespace
>> “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”.) Suppressing further errors from this
>> subtree.
>> 0001 / 400 Element “wbr” from namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”
>> not allowed in this context. (The parent was element “a” from namespace
>> “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”.) Suppressing further errors from this
>> subtree.
>
> Let's make these conforming.

I don't agree about nobr - it can be easily replaced with CSS.

<wbr> might be allowed, given that alternatives aren't quite interoperable
yet (http://www.quirksmode.org/oddsandends/wbr.html), but OTOH Gecko 1.9
finally supports soft hyphen, so soon <wbr> won't be indispensable anymore.

>> 0005 / 400 Bad value “search” for attribute “type” on element “input”
>> from namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”.
>> 0001 / 400 Attribute “placeholder” not allowed on element “input” from
>> namespace “http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml” at this point.
>
> Let's make these conforming.

I agree. It's pretty useful for Mac OS X users, where all search boxes
have distinct style. On websites targetted towards Mac users you can find
this style hacked with CSS (poorly most of the time).
Other browsers could benefit from this too, e.g. offer better UI for
adding custom searche engines and have separate auto-complete for searches
and personal data.

placeholder attribute could be allowed on all text boxes, but I'd change
it slightly to make it backwards-compatible: if initial value is the same
as placeholder value, value should be treated as empty:

<input type="text" value="Enter your username" placeholder="Enter your
username">
equals

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski