Re: proposed change to dialog example in HTML5 section 4.6.26

aloha, smylers!

1. "whatcha" is an abbreviation for "what do you want" no matter what
it's origins or nature -- therefore, ABBR is appropriate for use in
glossing "whatcha" (perhaps with an additional lang="en-x-slang" ;-)

2. how exactly is the SPAN containing the string "This is obviously a
lie" to be conveyed to the user?

3. in the absence of a means of marking text contained in DIALOG,
but which is not dialogue, how is one to indicate stage directions or
non-dialogue text contained in a dialogue container or emotional states?
why is there not a <nd></nd> tag set that indicates that what it
contains is NOT dialog (hence, nd)

4. instead of DIALOG/DIALOGUE the element should be renamed simply D,
and the DT and DD elements should be used to give dialogue a structure
(a definition list) NOT as generic indicators of dialogue:

<d>
<dl>
<dt>Shopkeeper</dt>
</dl>
</d>

5. why should HTML5 -- let alone "XHTML5" -- not be able to incorporate
EmotionML?  what substitute for EmotionML would you advocate to convey
emotional states, such as conveying to the user the fact that the
shopkeeper is obviously lying other than by explicitly stating that
that is the case?

5. the means of conveying EmotionML is limited only by one's
imagination; using CSS-Speech, one can set a voice change or aural icon
to express the emotional state; visually, one could have EmotoinML
expressed using an emoticon or an iconic equivalent (as happens on
some wikis to identify external, mailto, and other non-http-request
links); one could use CSS' :before to indicate that the following line
is a lie; the exposition method offered by EmotionML, therefore, is
FAR more robust, and far more specific, than using SPAN to indicate
emotional states; or you can ignore it as a red herring or wishful
thinking...

gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net