Re: Comments on HTML WG face to face meetings in France Oct 08

Julian Reschke wrote:
>>    <?xml-stylesheet href="data:text/css,*{font-weight:bold}"?>
>
> I assume the stylesheet PI is irrelevant here...

It's relevant, because it raises the question of whether the styling
should be applied.

> It seems you're asking whether it's legal for a recipient to start
> rendering before the full content has been received (which of course is
> something users want).

No, I'm asking whether it's legal to leave the rendering in place on
encountering a well-formedness error.  Which it clearly is, as far as I
can tell.

> As far as I can tell, there's no reason not to do that; but if the XML
> content turns out to be non-wellformed (let's please ignore "invalid" in
> this context), the UA should notify the user that the message was
> broken, for instance by the famous "yellow screen of death".

In other words, there's no interoperability here.  I think we all agree
on that.  I just claim that's an undesirable situation, whereas some
people seem to feel that it's somewhere between OK and to be actively
aimed for.

-Boris