Re: HTMLMediaElement defaultPlaybackRate and playbackRate

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Pierre-Olivier Latour wrote:

> Regarding your example UI scenario, first of all, IMHO it's enough of an
> edge case to be negligible against the benefits of not having both
> playbackRate and defaultPlaybackRate, and second of all, I just don't
> understand it: considering you can "bind" your UI to "playbackRate" (you
> both set it and observe it), and it's the same for other states, how
> would the 2 controllers not be in sync?

Say that you have two controllers (e.g. the JS controller and the
full-screen UA-native controller). The user should be able to interact
with both as if they were one and the same.

Now, consider this sequence of events:

   1. User loads page, e.g. a presentation about penguins.
   2. User tells the JS controller that he wants to view the video at 1.2x
      normal speed, so that he can view the presentation faster.
   3. The video turns out to start with a long unrelated section.
   4. User starts fast-forwarding to the point he wants to see, using the
      JS controller.
   5. User switches to full-screen.
   6. User gets to the place he's looking for and hits "play" in the UA
      full-screen controller.

The UA needs to know that the user wanted to play at 1.2x speed, not ffwd
speed. With defaultPlaybackRate, how can the JS controller tell the UA
controller what speed to use?