Re: The only name for the xml serialisation of html5

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>> This is the way it should be:
>>    HTML 5 (text/html)
>> XHTML 5 (application/xhtml+xml) or (application/xml)
>>
>> It's simple, semantic. So let's just do it.
>
> We could also evolve HTML 4 and XHTML 1.x (where x is less than 3)
> into HTML 5 and XHTML 1.5. It would seem to make sense. It runs the
> risk of a name clash after we make another 4 versions. It doesn't stop
> us deciding later in the future that XHTML 2 was a success and we need
> the name to work, or was a failure and we can simply move to XHTML 7.
> But it does short-cut a lot of argument about what colour this shed
> should be, and it provides a less antagonistic story about how HTML-WG
> and XHTML-WG fit into the overall universe - and that seems like a
> useful thing to do.

It most certainly would not make sense Charles. XHTML 5 is based on HTML
5 (they are the same language) so it has more in common with HTML 5 than
any other language. XHTML 5 is simply just the XML serialisation of HTML
5 Therefore it should be called XHTML 5 just like it is in the spec
today. There would be nothing gained by pretending that it is some sort
of *direct* extension to XHTML1.x(it's a whole lot better than that :)
). Although the (X)HTML spec remains backwards compatible, it is in fact
a thorough over hall and vast improvement to the current HTML and XHTML
languages. It would be wrong to market it as just a simple 'tidy up' of
existing languages.

Lets put the past behind us and have a fresh start with markup on the
web and use HTML 5 & XHTML 5 !  :-)

--
Dean Edridge
http://www.zealmedia.co.nz/