Re: keep conformance objective (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> How about "Syntactically valid" and "Semantically conforming" ?
>
> ** P.
Personally, I prefer modifications of a single base term to two
different terms; I’d say that it’s easier to understand and remember.
It’s a minor point, but I also associate validity with a check against
something like a document type definition rather than an entire
specification; HTML 5 lacks such a thing.

I suppose that the term “syntactically valid” (or “technically valid”)
would be acceptable if the word “valid” is insisted upon over
“conforming”. If you do that though, you may as well also use
“semantically valid” for consistency (though I can’t say that I care for
that term). While I prefer the word “conforming”, I do see a point in
usage of the word “valid” though since the term “validator” is in wide
use while terms like “technical conformance checker” or, more simply,
“conformance checker” are not. Then again, would “syntactically valid”
would make a validator a “syntactic validator”?

— Patrick Garies