Re: HDP: Revised "Support Existing Content" Principle

At 12:50 +0300 UTC, on 2007-09-22, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2007, at 04:20, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> [...]
>> Might not "Aim to be backwards compatible" ("as
>> in "HTML5 aims to be as backwards compatible with HTML 4 as
>> possible") be a more descriptive name for this principle?
>
> I'm not sure if you meant the example sentence to reflect an actual
> design principle intent

No, I was trying to think of a different name for the Principle.

> [...] HTML5 does *not* aim to be backwards compatible with HTML 4 (as HTML
> 4 is specified).
>
> The aim to make HTML5 UAs compatible with existing
> Web content and to make conforming HTML5 documents degrade with some
> grace in notable existing browsers.

That's yet another Principle :) But you're right, I should have said
something like "HTML5 aims to be as backwards compatible with pre-HTML5 UAs
as possible".

Then again, the first sentence if this Principle says "This principle applies
primarily to the conforming *language*." [emphasis mine]

Oh well...

--
Sander Tekelenburg